Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Michelle Obama: I hate being first Lady, it's hell, but it's a lot of fun and a real joy

From the Daily Mail:
Michelle Obama thinks being America’s First Lady is ‘hell’, Carla Bruni, [France's First Lady], reveals today in a wildly indiscreet new book.

Miss Bruni reveals that Mrs Obama replied when asked about her position as the U.S. president’s wife: ‘Don’t ask! It’s hell. I can’t stand it!’
From the Chicago Sun Times: April 23, 2009 - [excerpt]:
Michelle Obama celebrated "take your child to work day" at the White House by taking questions from kids of White House staffers:

Q If you had to choose a job in the White House for a day, what would you choose?

MICHELLE OBAMA: If I had to choose a job in the White House, it would be this job, being First Lady. I think I have the best job in the White House, because like I said, I get to -- I don't have to deal with the hard problems every day... And there's so much fun to be had in service. And it's -- because I don't get paid, I get to do whatever I want to do. And it's kind of a -- it's kind of a good mix of substantive stuff, things dealing with issues, but it's also fun stuff. So I think I have actually one of the best jobs in the White House...

Q What's your least favorite thing to do in the White House?

MICHELLE OBAMA: What's my least favorite thing to do at the White House? Wow. You know, I don't know that there's a least favorite thing to do. Gosh, I don't have to do anything that is all that bad. That's a really good question. I don't think I can list one thing that I just don't like to do... Maybe it's running on the treadmill... Sometimes I don't like to do that. But pretty much everything that I've done here so far has just been a real joy...

Q How does it feel to be the First Lady?

MICHELLE OBAMA: You know, it feels just like probably being a mom... I wake up every morning..., making sure that my kids get to school on time and they do their homework. And then I get to have a lot of fun because I get to do things like come and talk to you guys and go out to schools and plant a garden and go visit military families. So I think it's a lot of fun, the job that I have. But it feels good, actually...

Q My name is Cynthia..., and what is it like to be at the White House, to live at the White House?

MRS. OBAMA: Well, since I answered that question already, it's fun, okay? It's great...
Related post - September 16: Did Michelle Obama really say 'it's hell' to be First Lady?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

PLEASE leave the White House if you cannot do the job! Be sure and take your UNQUALIFIED spouse with you when you go!