Monday, July 2, 2012

Obama administration's "Wait to be shot at" policy creating huge spike in military casualties

British soldiers say that new procedural tactics implemented by the Obama administration in Afghanistan has resulted in a huge spike in military casualties.
The number of British soldiers being shot dead in Afghanistan is spiralling as new tactics ban them from shooting at the Taliban until they are fired at themselves...

Soldiers blame efforts to slash the number of civilian casualties ordered by the US general in command of Coalition forces, [General John Allen].

A spokesman for Coalition forces said British soldiers were told to change procedures after a tactical review.

Troops... said they are now more vulnerable at road-junction checkpoints or while patrolling Taliban heartlands.

One corporal said: “When I arrived in Helmand, my officers said our tactics were going to change. They said if I saw somebody carrying a rifle or a rocket launcher, I shouldn’t fire at him. Only if he shot at me or a member of my patrol, and I could see a muzzle flash, could I use my weapon.

“I was shocked and so were my mates. We are trained to close in and kill the enemy, not to let him stroll on, watch us and let him choose the best time to ambush us.

“It has been hard to obey these orders on patrol. There have been many occasions when we have come under fire from the Taliban, who we’ve seen following us..."

The corporal added: “Older guys like me have seen tactics change over the years and 2012 is the hardest because we’re taking so many backward steps.

“I really feel for the families of the guys who’ve lost their lives, and I miss my mates who are dead.”...

Tory MP and ex-Army officer Patrick Mercer said he had spoken to soldiers about the change in tactics and said they were feeling “frustrated and vulnerable”.

He said: “The Taliban can move as they please, even when heavily armed, and we’re not interfering with them.

“Currently there is a reluctance to engage and a preference for a policing approach. The rise in fatal wounds from gunshots comes as no surprise. I feel deeply for the soldiers placed in this perilous position.”
The Daily Mail also reported that "a spokesman for the multinational forces headed by US General John Allen confirmed there had been a tactical review after which the British were told to alter their procedures" and to adhere to the new perilous mandate, the 'Wait to be shot at' directive.

No comments: