Friday, August 31, 2012

Mitt Romney: No apology tour for me; less flexibility & more backbone on missile defense, Iran - Video

Speaking at the Republican National Convention on Thursday, Republican Presidential candidate, Mitt Romney, stated as follows:
"I will begin my presidency with a jobs tour; President Obama began with an apology tour. America, he said, had dictated to other nations. No, Mr. President, America has freed other nations from dictators...

"Every American is less secure today because [Obama] has failed to slow Iran's nuclear threat. In his first TV interview as president, he said we should talk to Iran; we're still talking, and Iran's centrifuges are still spinning."
Mr. Romney went on to criticize Mr. Obama over a statement he made, in May, to then-outgoing Russian President Dmitry Medvedev saying that he will have "more flexibility" to deal with contentious issues like missile defense after the U.S. presidential election [Obama was unaware that the microphones were picking up what was meant to be a confidential statement]. Mr. Romney said as follows:
"But [Obama] is eager to give Russia's President Putin the flexibility he desires, after the election. Under my administration, our friends will see more loyalty, and Mr. Putin will see a little less flexibility and more backbone."
Obama told Medvedev in May: "On all these issues, but particularly missile defense, this can be solved, but it's important [that Vladimir Putin] give me space. This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility."

"I understand. I will transmit this information to Vladimir," Mr. Medvedev said, referring to Vladimir Putin, who had just won an election to succeed Mr. Medvedev.

Video clip of Mr. Romney's remarks and Obama's statement to Medvedev, below: