The Obama administration will announce tomorrow it has slashed anti-terror funds for New York City, despite the attempted Times Square bombing less than two weeks ago that underscored the enormous threat to the city.
The Department of Homeland Security informed New York officials yesterday that grants to the city were cut 27 percent for mass transit security and 25 percent for port security....
The timing of the announcement drew howls from New York lawmakers on Capitol Hill...
"For the administration to announce these cuts two weeks after the attempted Times Square bombing shows they just don’t get it and are not doing right by New York City on anti-terrorism funding," Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said. He urged the White House to reconsider its decision...
Rep. Pete King (R-LI), the ranking Republican on the House Homeland Security Committee, said the cuts were "dangerous and unconscionable."...
"The Times Square attempt served as a wake-up call for many," said King, "but apparently not for the Obama Administration, which should be dramatically increasing New York City’s homeland security funding, not decreasing it."
It is not the first time President Obama has short-changed the city on homeland security dollars.
Obama has moved for the second year in a row to eliminate a $30 million program called "Securing our Cities."
It would create a ring of radiation detectors around the city to monitor for nuclear and dirty bombs.
Last year, Schumer and King succeeded in fighting to restore $20 million for the nuke detectors along highways, toll plazas, bridges, tunnels and waterways.
The administration also decided to redeploy the Coast Guard’s Maritime Safety and Security Team in New York to Boston Harbor.
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Obama to cut NYC anti-terror funding even after Times Square bombing attempt
From the New York Post:
Posted by Darrin at 5/12/2010