Sunday, September 7, 2008

For Obama, this Race is All About Race - and Religion too

In an interview with George Stephanopoulos on ABC's "This Week" program Sunday, Barack Obama continued to play the race card, alleging that Republicans have been calling him a Muslim.

Stephanopoulos, however, took issue with this claim and told Obama that "the McCain campaign has never suggested you have Muslim connections."

The following is a transcript of the interview, compliments of the Washington Times:
STEPHANOPOULOS: You mention your Christian faith. Yesterday you took off after the Republicans for suggesting you have Muslim connections.

Just a few minutes ago, Rick Davis, John McCain's campaign manager, said they've never done that. This is a false and cynical attempt to play victim.

OBAMA: You know what? I mean, these guys love to throw a rock and hide their hand. The...

STEPHANOPOULOS: The McCain campaign has never suggested you have Muslim connections.

OBAMA: No, no, no. But the -- I don't think that when you look at what is being promulgated on Fox News, let's say, and Republican commentators who are closely allied to these folks...

STEPHANOPOULOS: But John McCain said that's wrong.

OBAMA: Now, well, look. Listen. You and I both know that the minute that Governor Palin was forced to talk about her daughter, I immediately said that's off limits. And...

STEPHANOPOULOS: But John McCain said the same thing about questioning your faith.

OBAMA: And what was the first thing the McCain's campaign went out and did? They said, look, these liberal blogs that support Obama are out there attacking Governor Palin.

Let's not play games. What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith. And you're absolutely right that that has not come...

STEPHANOPOULOS: Christian faith.

OBAMA: ... my Christian faith. Well, what I'm saying is that he hasn't suggested...

STEPHANOPOULOS: Has connections, right.

OBAMA: ... that I'm a Muslim. And I think that his campaign's upper echelons have not, either.

What I think is fair to say is that, coming out of the Republican camp, there have been efforts to suggest that perhaps I'm not who I say I am when it comes to my faith -- something which I find deeply offensive, and that has been going on for a pretty long time.


The Washington Times also notes how some anti-Obama websites have been focusing upon a gaffe made by Obama during the interview.

While outlining his Christian faith, Obama accidentally said, "my Muslim faith", instead of "my Christian faith".



And of course, Obama attributes this to the McCain campaign.

Nevertheless, if Obama thinks he can win this election by playing the race/religion card, then by all means, let him continue to malign the McCain campaign. I just don't believe this kind of strategy will benefit him. He'd be better off talking about the issues, but I suppose when Obama rants on and on about race and religion, he thinks he is talking about the issues.

I also believe that if Obama ascends to the Presidency, race and religion will be a key talking point of his administration. Obama will also attempt to appease religious extremists and tyrants, in an effort to bring "peace unto the world". But ultimately, this kind of foreign policy will only bring more mayhem and more devastation upon the world. Terrorists and tyrants can never be appeased... They can, however, be emboldened by foolhardy politicians, the likes of Barack Obama and his his kindred spirit and running mate, Sen. Joe Biden.

1 comment:

People Power Granny said...

Well, the Swift-Boaters" are really plugged in, and are in full force with "proof" that Obama spoke of "my Muslim faith" in an interview show this Sunday. He was speaking of his "alleged" faith, but that makes no difference to the evil-doers out there. They took their little snippet and are going to town with it all over youtube. What do you guys think about all this? I give my point of view at peoplepowergranny.blogspot.com. People need to start thinking critically in this election.